Current:Home > FinanceEthermac|Elon Musk allows controversial conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on X -AssetBase
Ethermac|Elon Musk allows controversial conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on X
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 00:21:10
Elon Musk,Ethermac owner of X (formerly Twitter) on Saturday announced his decision to allow Alex Jones back on the platform.
Jones generated controversy for spreading false, wild conspiracies, claiming that a "New World Order" was sacrificing children on a California compound; that the U.S. government had "weather weapons" that triggered catastrophes like major floods; and that FBI Director Robert Mueller was a demon.
Shortly after being formally re-instated on X, Jones and Musk joined Vivek Ramaswamy, Laura Loomer (a self-described "proud Islamophobe" who has been banned from some platforms) and others in a live chat on Sunday.
"I'm telling you they want us silenced for what we said," said Jones.
The conversation covered a series of, at times, confusing topics including the "deep state" and the threats that the participants perceived to masculinity.
Allowing Jones back on X is a reversal of Musk's 2022 statement that the ban on Jones would not be lifted.
On Saturday Musk took a poll on X, and based on the results decided to reinstate Jones's account. Previous to the poll, Jones's last post on the platform was Sept. 6, 2018.
It's unknown how advertisers, who have been pulling ads from X over Musk's endorsement of antisemitic comments, will respond to Jones' return.
Musk raised eyebrows when he appeared on stage at the DealBook Summit in New York in November and leveled profanities at companies who pulled ads from X.
Muslims, immigrants and the LGBTQ+ community are common targets for Jones, but what finally landed him in major legal trouble was claiming, falsely, that the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn. was an "inside job" and a "government operation." He also claimed, again falsely, that no one had died in the shooting - which left 26 people dead, 20 of them being children - and that everyone speaking about the event was a "crisis actor."
The families of those who died in the Sandy Hook school shooting sued Jones in Texas and in Connecticut in 2018, saying that they'd suffered emotional pain and received death threats as a result of Jones' false claims that they were crisis actors and that the tragedy was staged. The families won a total of nearly $1.5 billion in compensatory and punitive damages, prompting Jones to file for bankruptcy. He has yet to pay damages to the families.
Jones has since admitted that the Sandy Hook shooting did, indeed, happen.
Attorney Chris Mattei, who represented the Sandy Hook families in that lawsuit, posted his response to Jones's return to X:
Musk has reinstated several banned or suspended accounts since purchasing Twitter, including ones belonging to former president Donald Trump and social media personality Andrew Tate, who was indicted earlier this year on human trafficking and rape charges in Romania.
veryGood! (226)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Why Olivia Culpo Dissolved Her Lip Fillers Ahead of Her Wedding to Christian McCaffrey
- University of Houston football will defy NFL, feature alternate light blue uniform in 2024
- Celebrate May the 4th with These Star Wars Items That Will Ship in Time for the Big Day, They Will
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Selling the OC Stars Reveal the Secrets Behind Their Head-Turning Fashion
- Kansas has new abortion laws while Louisiana may block exceptions to its ban
- 76ers force Game 6 vs. Knicks after Tyrese Maxey hits clutch shot to force overtime
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Badass Moms. 'Short-Ass Movies.' How Netflix hooks you with catchy categories.
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 'Challengers' spicy scene has people buzzing about sex. That's a good thing, experts say.
- Student protesters reach a deal with Northwestern University that sparks criticism from all sides
- Kansas has new abortion laws while Louisiana may block exceptions to its ban
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Selling the OC Stars Reveal the Secrets Behind Their Head-Turning Fashion
- Rob Marciano, 'ABC World News Tonight' and 'GMA' meteorologist, exits ABC News after 10 years
- Why Jon Bon Jovi Admits He “Got Away With Murder” While Married to Wife Dorothea Bongiovi
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Tesla stock rises after CEO Musk scores key deals with China on weekend trip to Beijing
Arizona’s Democratic leaders make final push to repeal 19th century abortion ban
Alabama committee advances ban on LGBTQ+ pride flags in classrooms
Trump's 'stop
1 person dead, buildings damaged after tornado rips through northeastern Kansas
Jerry Seinfeld Shares His Kids' Honest Thoughts About His Career in Rare Family Update
2024 NFL schedule release: When is it? What to know ahead of full release this month
Tags
Like
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Ex-NFL player Emmanuel Acho and actor Noa Tishby team up for Uncomfortable Conversations with a Jew to tackle antisemitism
- Alec Baldwin Shares He’s Nearly 40 Years Sober After Taking Drugs “From Here to Saturn”